SALSA is a food-safety standard written by experienced food safety experts to reflect both the legal requirements of producers and the enhanced expectations of 'best practice' of professional food buyers.
SALSA certification is only granted to suppliers who are able to demonstrate to an auditor that they are able to produce safe and legal food and are committed to continually meeting the requirements of the SALSA standard.
SALSA is a non-profit making joint venture between the four main trade associations representing the UK Food Chain featured on the right. The Institute of Food Science and Technology operate the scheme throughout the UK. All of these bodies make up the independently chaired Governance Committee which oversee the SALSA scheme.
SALSA's Purpose: To provide affordable food safety assurance certification and support for small and micro businesses in the United Kingdom.
To achieve our purpose, the following values lie at the heart of all SALSA's activities and thinking:
- Safe Food First - above all else, the SALSA scheme exists to encourage and assist small and micro businesses to implement practices and controls that produce food that is consistently safe
- Affordability - we will aim to provide services and solutions that are affordable; but also, of the best possible value for its members.
- Supportive and Constructive Relationships - We pride ourselves on the supportive nature of the relationship we build with our members. Our aim is to support, encourage and help develop small businesses as they grow.
- Practical and Focussed Guidance - Through our broad base of mentors we aim to provide clear, practical and relevant advice to businesses, not general or theoretical answers.
- Teamwork and Collaboration - Our relationship with members is based on a collaborative approach. We work with members as is part of their team.
Find out more www.salsafood.co.uk